Put a sock in it!
你快闭嘴吧
-Paul, come back!
保罗 回来
You know, the dream is coming to an end, and we have to celebrate that!
梦想即将结束 我们得庆祝一番
We have to celebrate! Come on! -Thank God. Tell him to get out.
-我们得庆祝一番 来吧 -谢天谢地 让他快滚
If he wishes to go for a midnight swim, that's entirely his decision.
他若想半夜去游泳 那完全是他的自由
I don't want to go swimming.
我不想去游泳
I want to throw myself into the water in despair at our mad generation.
我们疯狂的一代让人绝望 我真想一头扎进水里
Excellent. Go ahead.
好极了 请便
Let me have it.
我不知道
☞
Put a sock in it直译是“把袜子放进去”,和“住口”有甚么关系呢?原来早期的发条留声机(wind-up gramophone)没有音量控制,声音从一个大喇叭(horn)发出。要减低声量,人们有时会把一只袜子塞进喇叭里去。所以,put a sock in it有“降低声音”的意思,现在则成为“住口”的俚语说法。那个it字当然是借喻嘴巴了。
Can't you put a sock in it when I am on the phone?
我通电话的时候,你静一点行不行?
coming to an end
英[ˈkʌmɪŋ tu ən end]美[ˈkʌmɪŋ tu ən end]
结束;
The time of the beautiful, old sailing ships is coming to an end.
美丽古老的帆船时代即将结束。
in despair
英[ɪn dɪˈspeə(r)]美[ɪn dɪˈsper]
绝望; 失望; 失望地; 短语结构; 绝望地;
He gave up the struggle in despair.
他绝望地放弃了斗争。