天天看点

双语悦读《木偶奇遇记》第17天

作者:山有木兮H

poor little blackbird! if he had only kept his words to himself! in the twinkling of an eyelid, the cat leaped on him, and ate him, feathers and all.

可怜的画眉!他干嘛要跟匹诺曹说这些呢!话刚说完,那只猫便纵身一跳,一把抓住画眉,连皮带毛一口把画眉给活生生的吞了。

after eating the bird, he cleaned his whiskers, closed his eyes, and became blind once more.

吃掉了画眉,猫把嘴巴擦干净,闭上了眼睛,又装瞎子去了。

"poor blackbird!" said pinocchio to the cat. "why did you kill him?"

"可怜的鸟儿!匹诺曹对猫说。"你为什么要吃掉它?"

"i killed him to teach him a lesson. he talks too much. next time he will keep his words to himself."

"我吃了他是为了给他一个教训。他话太多了,下次他就不会多管闲事了。

by this time the three companions had walked a long distance. suddenly, the fox stopped in his tracks and, turning to the marionette, said to him:

这时,三个臭味相投的人已经走了一段很长的路。突然,狐狸停住了脚步,转身对木偶说:

"do you want to double your gold pieces?"

"你想你的金币变得更多吗?"

"what do you mean?"

"你想说什么?"

"do you want one hundred, a thousand, two thousand gold pieces for your miserable five?"

"你想不想让你那可怜的五个金币变成100个,1000个,甚至2000个?"

"yes, but how?"

"当然想,不过怎么办呢?"

"the way is very easy. instead of returning home, come with us."

"那很容易。前提是你先不能回家,必须跟我们一起走。"

"and where will you take me?"

"那你们要带我去哪呢?"

"to the city of simple simons."

"去天真西蒙斯之城。"

pinocchio thought a while and then said firmly:

匹诺曹想了想,然后坚定地说:

"no, i don't want to go. home is near, and i'm going where father is waiting for me. how unhappy he must be that i have not yet returned! i have been a bad son, and the talking cricket was right when he said that a disobedient boy cannot be happy in this world. i have learned this at my own expense. even last night in the theater, when fire eater. . . brrrr! ! ! ! ! . . . the shivers run up and down my back at the mere thought of it."

"不,我不去。我家就在附近,我爸爸还在家等着我呢。昨天我没有回去,他一定急坏了!我真是个不懂事的孩子。会说话的蟋蟀说得对:在这个世界上,淘气的的孩子,是不会快乐的。我已经为我的所作所为受到应有的惩罚了。就在昨天晚上,在吞火人的厨房里,我差点没命了 !!!!!。我现在想想都浑身发抖呢。

"well, then," said the fox, "if you really want to go home, go ahead, but you'll be sorry."

"好吧,那么,"狐狸说,"如果你真的想回家,也可以,但是你会后悔的。"

"you'll be sorry," repeated the cat.

"你会后悔的。"猫附和着。

"think well, pinocchio, you are turning your back on dame fortune."

"好好想想,匹诺曹,不要错失良机了。"

"on dame fortune," repeated the cat.

"错失良机,"猫又重复道。

"tomorrow your five gold pieces will be two thousand!"

"明天你的五个金币就变成两千了!"

"two thousand!" repeated the cat.

"2000!"猫又重复了一遍。

"but how can they possibly become so many?" asked pinocchio wonderingly.

"但是它们怎么可能变成那么多呢?"匹诺曹惊奇地问道。

"i'll explain," said the fox. "you must know that, just outside the city of simple simons, there is a blessed field called the field of wonders. in this field you dig a hole and in the hole you bury a gold piece. after covering up the hole with earth you water it well, sprinkle a bit of salt on it, and go to bed. during the night, the gold piece sprouts, grows, blossoms, and next morning you find a beautiful tree, that is loaded with gold pieces."

"这么跟你说,"狐狸说。"你一定知道,天真西蒙斯之城城外,有块神奇的土地,人们叫它奇迹之地。你只要在这块地里挖一个小洞,然后把一块金币放进去。盖上土,浇上水,再撒上一点盐。然后安安心心地去睡觉。就在你睡觉的时候,金块开始发芽、长大、然后开花。等第二天早上你醒来,你会发现一棵美丽的大树,树上结满了金币。

"so that if i were to bury my five gold pieces," cried pinocchio with growing wonder, "next morning i should find — how many?"

"那这样的话,如果我埋了五个金币,"匹诺曹越来越惊奇地叫道,"第二天早上我有——多少金币?"

"it is very simple to figure out," answered the fox. "why, you can figure it on your fingers! granted that each piece gives you five hundred, multiply five hundred by five. next morning you will find twenty-five hundred new, sparkling gold pieces."

"那很容易算出来嘛,"狐狸回答说。"哎呀,你掰掰手指头就算出来了!"假设每一块金币可以长出500个,用500乘以5。也就是说第二天早晨你会发现2500枚崭新的闪闪发光的金币。

"fine! fine!" cried pinocchio, dancing about with joy. "and as soon as i have them, i shall keep two thousand for myself and the other five hundred i'll give to you two."

"太好了,太好了!匹诺曹大叫道,兴奋得手舞足蹈。"等我收获了这些金币,自个儿留两千,另外的五百都送给你们俩。"

"a gift for us?" cried the fox, pretending to be insulted. "why, of course not!"

"of course not!" repeated the cat.

"送给我们?"狐狸假装受到了侮辱,大喊道。"啊,当然不是!"

"当然不是!猫重复道。

"we do not work for gain," answered the fox. "we work only to enrich others."

"to enrich others!" repeated the cat.

狐狸回答说:"我们可不是为了这个才这么做的。""我们这么做,唯一的目的就是让他人先富起来。"

"让他人先富起来!"猫和狐狸总是一唱一和。

"what good people," thought pinocchio to himself. and forgetting his father, the new coat, the a-b-c book, and all his good resolutions, he said to the fox and to the cat:

"let us go. i am with you."

"多好的人啊!"匹诺曹心想。他已经把他的父亲,那件新外套,那本识字课本,还有他所有美好的愿望,都抛到了九霄云外。他对狐狸和猫说:

"那我们走吧,我和你们一起去。

单词、短语应用

今天和大家讲讲英语数字的表达法。英语中,整百整千、万后面是不用复数的,比如500(five hundred),5000(five thousand), 而是在后面的名词加"s",比如:2000个金币(two thousand gold pieces)。但是在表示概数的时候要加"s",比如: hundreds of, thousands of。

hundreds of people were killed or wounded in the earthquake.(地震中有几百人伤亡。)

整数的读法:23,576读作twenty-three thousand five hundred (and) seventy-six

7,405,235,169读作seven billion four hundred (and) five million two hundred (and)

thirty-five thousand one hundred (and) sixty-nine

由以上一组数字可以看出,多位数由右向左每3位一个逗号,第一个逗号读作thousand;

第二个逗号读作million; 第三个逗号读作billion; 第四个逗号读作trillion. 例如,当你到

twenty thousand and eight 写出20 "and eight" 意为后一组仅有个位,即008,这个数完

整地写下来就是2008. 又如,若听到"six million twenty thousand four hundred and

twenty-six",则第一步先写6,020,再将最后一组426写在第一个逗号后面。完整的数字为

6020426. 借助三位一个逗号的规律,也能区分 "ty"与 "teen",多大的数字也不怕。

继续阅读