At about 10:45 p.m. local time on September 26, a serious fire broke out at a wedding in the town of Hamdaniyah in the northern province of Nineveh in northern Iraq, killing more than 100 people. It was previously reported that about 1,000 people were present in the wedding hall at the time of the fire, and the bride and groom may also have died in this fire (Red Star News previously reported: Iraq wedding fire caused 113 deaths and 150 injuries!). The bride and groom may have lost their lives, and fireworks are suspected to have caused a fire that destroyed the hall).
However, according to media reports on September 30, the groom Revan and the bride Haneen survived the fire. The couple said that although the two survived the fire, they still felt dead and had no way to continue living in their original community.
Revan and Hanin said in an interview that they can no longer live in their hometown
Revan said he lost 15 loved ones in the fire, "My aunt died, my sister and brother-in-law were badly burned. Hanin, on the other hand, lost 10 relatives, including his mother, brother, uncle, etc., and was "unable to speak" at one point because of the loss of his loved ones. It is reported that Hanin's father is also currently in danger.
Revan said in an interview that the disaster meant they could no longer stay in their hometown. "We can't live here anymore. When we think we are happy, misfortune will come... Don't look at us alive now, but in fact our hearts are dead. ”
As for the cause of the deadly fire, Iraq's General Directorate of Civil Defense previously said that preliminary reports showed that fireworks were set off during the wedding event, which may have caused the fire. Revan, on the other hand, recalled that sparks began to appear from the ceiling.
"Probably due to some kind of short circuit, sparks started coming from the ceiling, and I heard a crackling sound and looked at the ceiling. And the ceiling also began to melt gradually, and the whole process took only a few seconds. Revan said it was during the dance, there was a brief blackout, and when the power was restored, he saw sparks from the ceiling and people started screaming and fleeing.
On the wedding day, the groom Revan and the bride Hanin
Revan also recalled running away with his bride in a wedding dress: "I grabbed my wife and dragged her all the time. A guest stepped on her during the escape, and her leg was injured. Revan also added that there was only one "useless" fire extinguisher at the scene.
Red Star News reporter Li Jinrui
Edited by Zhang Li Editor: Ren Zhijiang
(Download Red Star News, there is a prize!) ）