天天看點

「聽&讀」瑪麗在約克郡的日子

作者:每日學英語
「聽&讀」瑪麗在約克郡的日子

★ 第2章 ★

They arrived at a very large old house.

她們來到一座很大的舊房子前,

It looked dark and unfriendly from the outside.

從外面看上去黑暗而冷漠。

Inside,Mary looked around the big shadowy hall,and felt very small and lost.

瑪麗走進投滿陰影的大廳,覺得自己非常渺小,不知身在何處。

They went straight upstairs.

她們徑直上了樓,

Mary was shown to a room where there was a warm fire and food on the table.

瑪麗被帶進一個房間,裡面生着火,很暖和,桌上擺着食物。

'This is your room,' said Mrs Medlock.

“這就是你的房間,”梅洛太太說。

'Go to bed when you've had some supper.

“吃點東西就睡吧。

And remember, you must stay in your room!

記住,你必須呆在自己的房間裡!

Mr Craven doesn't want you to wander all over the house!’

克萊文先生可不想看見你在房子裡亂逛!”

When Mary woke up the next morning, she saw a young servant girl cleaning the fireplace.

第二天一早瑪麗醒來時,看見一個年輕的女仆正在清理壁爐。

The room seemed dark and rather strange, with pictures of dogs and horses and ladies on the walls.

房間看上去很暗,有點古怪,牆上挂着狗、馬還有女人的畫像,

It was not a child's room at all.

一點也不像個孩子的房間。

From the window, she could not see any trees or houses, only wild land, which looked like a kind of purple sea.

從窗子望出去,她看不到任何樹或房屋,隻有荒原,看上去像一片紫色的海。

'Who are you?' she asked the servant coldly.

“你是誰?”她冷冷地問那個仆人。

'Martha, miss,' answered the girl with a smile.

“我叫瑪莎,小姐。”女孩笑着回答。

'And what's that outside?' Mary continued.

“外面是什麼?”瑪麗又問道。

'That's the moor,' smiled Martha. 'Do you like it?'

“那是荒原,”瑪莎笑着。“你喜歡嗎?”

'No,' replied Mary immediately. 'I hate it.'

“不,”瑪麗很快地答道,“我讨厭它。”

'That's because you don't know it. You will like it. I love it.

“那是因為你還不了解它。你會喜歡它的。我喜歡它。

It's lovely in spring and summer when there are flowers.

春天和夏天都開滿了花,可愛極了,

It always smells so sweet.

連空氣都是甜的。

The air's so fresh,and the birds sing so beautifully.

那兒的空氣新鮮極了,鳥也叫得那麼動聽,

I never want to leave the moor.'

我從來都不想離開它。”

Mary was feeling very bad-tempered. 'You're a strange servant,' she said.

瑪麗感到很懊惱。“你可真怪,”她說,

'In India, we don't have conversations with servants.

“在印度我們從來不跟用人交談。

We give orders, and they obey, and that's that.'

我們下指令,他們服從,這就夠了。”

Martha did not seem to mind Mary's crossness.

瑪莎對瑪麗的小姐脾氣好像并不在意。

'I know I talk too much!' she laughed.

“我知道我說得太多了!”她笑着說。

'Are you going to be my servant?' asked Mary.

瑪麗問道,“你會給我做用人嗎?”

'Well, not really. I work for Mrs Medlock.

“嗯,也不全是。我為梅洛太太工作。

I'm going to clean your room and bring you your food, but you won't need a servant except for those things.'

我要打掃你的房間,給你拿吃的東西,可除此之外你并不需要一個用人。”

'But who's going to dress me?'

“那誰給我穿衣服呢?”

Martha stopped cleaning and stared at Mary.

瑪莎停下手裡的活兒,瞪着瑪麗。

'Tha'canna'dress thysen?' she asked, shocked.

“你自個兒不會穿衣服?”她驚訝地問。

'What do you mean? I don't understand your language!'

“你是什麼意思? 我聽不懂你的話!”

'Oh, I forgot. We all speak the Yorkshire dialect here, but of course, you don't understand that.

“噢,我忘了。我們這兒都說約克郡的方言,當然你是聽不懂的。

I meant to say, can't you put on your own clothes?'

我是說,你自己不能穿衣服嗎?”

'Of course not! My servant always used to dress me.'

“當然不能,總是用人給我穿的。”

'Well! I think you should learn to dress yourself.

“哈! 我看你得學着自己穿衣服。

My mother always says people should be able to take care of themselves, even if they're rich and important.'

我媽媽常說不管一個人多有錢,多尊貴,他都得能自己照顧自已。”

Little Miss Mary was furious with Martha.

瑪麗小姐有些生瑪莎的氣了。

'It's different in India where I come from!

“我從印度來,我們那兒就不這樣!

You don't know anything about India, or about servants, or about anything!

你根本不知道印度,不知道用人,什麼都不知道!

You… you…’She could not explain what she meant.

你……你……”她沒法表達清楚自己的意思。

Suddenly she felt very confused and lonely.

突然間覺得非常困惑,非常孤單,

She threw herself down on the bed and started crying wildly.

索性倒在床上大哭起來。

'Now, now, don't cry like that,' Martha said gently.

“好啦,好啦,别哭啦,”瑪莎輕輕地說。

'I'm very sorry. You're right, I don't know anything about anything. Please stop crying, miss.'

“對不起,你是對的,我是不知道。請你别哭了,小姐。”

She sounded kind and friendly, and Mary began to feel better and soon stopped crying.

她的聲音和善而友好,瑪麗感覺好了一些,很快止住了哭泣。

Martha went on talking as she finished her cleaning, but Mary looked out of the window in a bored way, and pretended not to listen.

瑪莎打掃完繼續說着話,可瑪麗卻無聊地望着窗外,假裝根本不去聽她講話。

‘I've got eleven brothers and sisters, you know, miss.

“你看,小姐,我家有11個兄弟姐妹,

There's not much money in our house.

家裡沒什麼錢,

And they all eat so much food! Mother says it's the good fresh air on the moor that makes them so hungry.

他們又都吃得那麼多!我媽媽說是荒原上清新的空氣讓他們這麼餓的。

My brother Dickon, he's always out on the moor.

我弟弟狄肯總是在荒原上,

He's twelve, and he's got a horse which he rides sometimes.’

他今年12歲,有一匹馬,偶爾他會騎一騎。”

‘Where did he get it?’ asked Mary.

“他的馬是從哪兒來的?”瑪麗問。

She had always wanted an animal of her own, and so she began to feel a little interest in Dickon.

她一直都想有隻屬于自己的動物,是以開始對狄肯有了一點興趣。

‘Oh, it's a wild horse, but he's a kind boy, and animals like him, you see.

“哦,那是匹野馬,可狄肯是個好孩子,動物都喜歡他。

Now you must have your breakfast, miss. Here it is on the table.’

這會兒你該吃早餐了,就放在桌子上呢。”

'I don't want it,' said Mary. 'I'm not hungry.'

“我不想吃,”瑪麗說,“我不餓。”

‘What!’ cried Martha. ‘My little brothers and sisters would eat all this in five minutes!’

“什麼!”瑪莎叫道,“我的弟弟妹妹們可要不了5分鐘就能把它們都吃光!”

‘Why?’ asked Mary coldly.

“為什麼?”瑪麗冷冷地問。

‘Because they don't get enough to eat, that's why, and they're always hungry.

“因為他們沒有足夠的東西吃,就因為這個,他們總是覺得餓。

You're very lucky to have the food, miss.’

你有飯吃可是很幸運的,小姐。”

Mary said nothing, but she drank some tea and ate a little bread.

瑪麗什麼也沒說,不過她喝了點茶,還吃了點面包。

‘Now put a coat on and run outside to play,’ said Martha.

“好了,穿上外套跑到外面去玩兒吧,”瑪莎說,

‘It'll do you good to be in the fresh air.’

“新鮮空氣對你有好處。”

Mary looked out of the window at the cold grey sky. ‘Why should I go out on a day like this?’ she asked.

瑪麗望了望窗外冷暗的灰色天空,問道,“這種天氣幹嘛要出去玩呢?”

‘Well, there's nothing to play with indoors, is there?’

“因為屋子裡也沒什麼可玩的,對不對?”

Mary realized Martha was right. ‘But who will go with me?’ she said.

瑪麗覺得瑪莎說得不錯,又說,“可是誰跟我一塊去呢?”

Martha stared at her. ‘Nobody. You'll have to learn to play by yourself Dickon plays by himself on the moors for hours, with the wild birds, and the sheep, and the other animals.’ She looked away for a moment.

瑪莎瞪着她,“沒人會去。你得學會自己玩,狄肯一個人在荒原能玩上幾個小時,他跟飛鳥、羊還有其他動物一起玩。”她把目光移開,停了一會兒,

‘Perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but—but one of the walled gardens is locked up.

“也許我不該告訴你這個,不過——不過有一座被牆圍住的花園是上了鎖的。

Nobody's been in it for ten years.

有10年沒人進去過了,

It was Mrs Graven's garden, and when she died so suddenly, Mr Craven locked it and buried the key— Oh, I must go, I can hear Mrs Medlock's bell ringing for me.’

那是克萊文太太的花園,她死得那麼突然,克萊文先生就把它鎖上了,還把鑰匙也埋了起來——哦,我得走了,我聽見梅洛太太在搖鈴叫我呢。”

Mary went downstairs and wandered through the great empty gardens.

瑪麗下了樓在空曠的花園中閑逛。

Many of the fruit and vegetable gardens had walls around them, but there were no locked doors.

很多果園和菜園周圍都有圍牆,可沒有鎖上門的。

She saw an old man digging in one of the vegetable gardens, but he looked cross and unfriendly, so she walked on.

她看見一個老人在其中一個菜園中挖地,不過他看上去脾氣不好,也不和善,于是瑪麗繼續往前走。

‘How ugly it all looks in winter!’ she thought.

“冬天一切看上去都那麼醜!”她想。

‘But what a mystery the locked garden is!

“可那座鎖上的花園多神秘啊!

Why did my uncle bury the key?

舅舅為什麼要把鑰匙埋起來呢?

If he loved his wife, why did he hate her garden?

要是他愛他妻子,他幹嘛那麼讨厭她的花園呢?

Perhaps I'll never know.

也許我永遠也不會知道了。

I don't suppose I'll like him if I ever meet him.

我看就是看到他我也不會喜歡他,

And he won't like me, so I won't be able to ask him.’

他也不會喜歡我的,是以我還是沒法兒問他。”

Just then she noticed a robin singing to her from a tree on the other side of a wall.

正在這時,她看到一隻知更鳥在一堵牆後面的樹上沖她叫着,

‘I think that tree's in the secret garden!’ she told herself. ‘There's an extra wall here, and there's no way in.’

“我看那棵樹就在秘密花園裡!”她自己說着,“那兒另外有一堵牆,而且沒有進去的路。”

She went back to where the gardener was digging and spoke to him.

她回到園丁挖土的地方,跟他搭話。

At first, he answered in a very bad-tempered way, but suddenly the robin flew down near them, and the old man began to smile.

一開始他的回答很不耐煩,可是突然那隻知更鳥飛到他們身旁,老人開始有了笑容。

He looked a different person then, and Mary thought how much nicer people looked when they smiled.

這會兒他看上去像換了個人。瑪麗想,人微笑的時候看着就要好許多。

The gardener spoke gently to the robin, and the pretty little bird hopped on the ground near them.

園丁溫和地跟知更鳥說話,而那漂亮的小鳥就在他們旁邊的地上跳來跳去。

‘He's my friend, he is,’ said the old man.

“他是我的朋友,他是,”老人說,

‘There aren't any other robins in the garden, so he's a bit lonely.’

“園子裡沒有别的知更鳥,是以它覺得有點孤獨。”

He spoke in strong Yorkshire dialect, so Mary had to listen carefully to understand him.

老人說話帶着濃重的約克郡口音,是以瑪麗得非常仔細才能聽得懂他的話。

She looked very hard at the robin. ‘I'm lonely too,’ she said. She had not realized this before.

她緊緊盯着那隻知更鳥,說,“我也很孤獨。”在這之前她從沒有意識到這一點。

‘What's your name?’ she asked the gardener.

“你叫什麼名字?”她問園丁。

‘Ben Weather staff. I'm lonely myself.

“本·威瑟斯塔夫。我自己也很孤獨,

The robin's my only friend, you see.’

瞧,這隻知更鳥是我唯一的朋友。”

‘I haven't got any friends at all,’ said Mary.

“可我什麼朋友都沒有。”瑪麗說。

Yorkshire people always say what they are thinking, and old Ben was a Yorkshire moor man.

約克郡人從來都是心直口快,本這個老頭正是約克郡荒原上的人。

‘We're alike, you and me,’ he told Mary.

“你和我,咱倆差不多。”他對瑪麗說,

‘We're not pretty to look at, and we're both very disagreeable.’

“長得醜,脾氣還不好。”

Nobody had ever said this to Mary before.

以前從來沒有人對瑪麗說過這些。她有些懷疑,

‘Am I really as ugly and disagreeable as Ben?’ she wondered.

“我真是像本一樣又醜又不招人喜歡嗎?”

Suddenly the robin flew to a tree near Mary and started singing to her. Ben laughed loudly.

突然,知更鳥飛到瑪麗近旁的一棵樹上,開始對着她唱歌。本大聲笑起來。

‘Well!’ he said.‘He wants to be your friend!’

“看哪!”他說,“他想做你的朋友呢!”

‘Oh! Would you please be my friend?’ she whispered to the robin.

“哦! 你願意做我的朋友嗎?”她小聲地對知更鳥說。

She spoke in a soft, quiet voice and old Ben looked at her in surprise.

她的聲音又輕又柔,本老頭驚奇地望着她。

‘You said that really nice!’ he said.

“你說的真好!”他說,

‘You sound like Dickon when he talks to animals on the moor.’

“你聽起來像狄肯,他在荒原上跟動物說話時就是這樣。”

‘Do you know Dickon?’ asked Mary. But just then the robin flew away.

“你認識狄肯嗎?”瑪麗問道。但就在這時知更鳥飛走了。

‘Oh look,he's flown into the garden with no door! Please,Ben,how can I get into it?’

“哦,看哪,他飛到那個沒有門的花園裡去了!本,請問,我怎麼才能進去呢?”

Ben stopped smiling and picked up his spade.

本收起了笑容,拾起他的鏟子。

‘You can't, and that's that. It's not your business.

“你不能進去,就是不行。那不是你的事兒,

Nobody can find the door. Runaway and play, will you?

沒人能找到那扇門。到别的地方去玩吧,好嗎?

I must get on with my work.’

我得接着幹活兒了。”

And he walked away. He did not even say goodbye.

然後他就走開了,甚至連再見也沒說。

In the next few days, Mary spent almost all her time in the gardens.

以後的幾天,瑪麗幾乎所有的時間都呆在花園裡。

The fresh air from the moor made her hungry, and she was becoming stronger and healthier.

荒原上吹來的新鮮空氣讓她感到饑餓,而她也變得強壯,變得健康了。

One day she noticed the robin again.

一天,她又看見了知更鳥。

He was on top of a wall, singing to her.

他好像是在說,

《秘密花園》故事講述了性情古怪孤僻的小女孩瑪麗・倫羅克斯的父母雙亡後,生活在姨父神秘陰沉的大房子裡,一次神奇的經曆,使瑪麗闖入久已禁閉且荒蕪的花園。瑪麗、農家小子迪肯和常年被關在陰暗房間裡病态的少爺柯林,找到了開啟快樂的鑰匙,和花園經曆了一次詩意的複活。

繼續閱讀