The reasons and background behind the introduction of vehicle tolls at the Suhuai toll station of Jiangsu National Highway 205 can be analyzed from many aspects. First of all, according to the approval of the Jiangsu Provincial People's Government, the toll station is jointly managed by the cities of Suqian and Huai'an, based on the implementation of the toll road management model. The construction and operation of toll stations involves a large number of loans and debts, of which nearly 1 billion yuan is stock debt. In addition, the Jiangsu Provincial Development and Reform Commission approved the feasibility study report of the Suhuai toll station project of National Highway 205 at the end of 2018, with an estimated investment of 68.65 million yuan, indicating that the construction cost of the toll station is considerable.
The toll standard follows the ordinary road toll station charging standard in the notice of the Provincial Department of Transportation, the Provincial Development and Reform Commission, and the Provincial Department of Finance on printing and distributing the adjustment plan for the toll standard of toll road vehicles in Jiangsu Province. The specific charging standards are: 10 yuan, 12 yuan, 15 yuan and 15 yuan per trip for one to four types of passenger cars; Categories 1 to 6 trucks are 10 yuan, 15 yuan, 30 yuan, 35 yuan, 40 yuan, and 50 yuan per trip. The preferential reduction and exemption policies shall be implemented in accordance with the relevant national and provincial regulations.
It is worth noting that although the cancellation of tolls on non-expressways has become a trend in the past few years, such as Zhejiang's announcement of the cancellation of the Jiaxing section of the national highway, the decision to levy vehicle tolls at the Suhuai toll station of National Highway 205 still arouses public attention and discussion. This may be related to people's expectation that in the future, national highway toll booths will gradually retire from the stage of history. Overall, this policy involves not only traffic management and toll collection, but also the cooperation of local governments and the concerns of the public, and therefore has important social and economic implications.
205 National Highway Suhuai Toll Station started the collection of vehicle tolls, and the driving factors behind it are as follows:
1. Toll road management mode: According to the approval of the Jiangsu Provincial People's Government, the Suhuai toll station of National Highway 205 implements toll road management, and the two cities of Suqian and Huai'an are jointly responsible for toll matters. This model helps to raise funds for road construction, maintenance, and improving road use and service levels.
2. Debt pressure: According to the staff of the Jiangsu Provincial Department of Transportation, the Suhuai section of National Highway 205 is a first-class highway for government loan repayment, and has been used as a toll road to raise funds since the beginning of construction. At present, there is still nearly 1 billion yuan of existing debt in this section, and the implementation of vehicle toll collection will help repay this part of the debt.
3. Local fiscal demand: In the context of the current downward pressure on the real estate market, the pressure on local fiscal has increased. The imposition of vehicle tolls can be an effective solution to alleviate local fiscal pressures while increasing road tolls.
4. Traffic management and maintenance: Tolls raise funds to optimize the management and maintenance of the country's highways, thereby improving the efficiency of road use and the quality of services.
5. Regulate traffic flow and ensure traffic safety: Appropriate tolls can effectively regulate traffic flow and ensure traffic safety. In the case of traffic congestion, the toll policy can guide car owners to choose other modes of transportation or routes to reduce road congestion.
To sum up, the collection of vehicle tolls at the Suhuai toll station of National Highway 205 involves many factors such as government loan repayment highway management, local financial needs, traffic management and maintenance, etc. This policy not only has an impact on traffic management and toll collection, but also has important social and economic significance related to local government cooperation and public concern. Although the abolition of tolls on non-expressways has become a trend in the past few years, the decision to start vehicle tolls at the Suhuai toll station of National Highway 205 has still attracted widespread attention and discussion, reflecting people's concern and expectation about whether the national highway toll station will gradually withdraw from the historical stage in the future.